Sunday, March 28, 2010

From the Beginning

Okay. So it's not Friday. Life has been too busy. Haven't been able to read much either until yesterday. Today's update:
Impulse by Ellen Hopkins: 215
Glass Houses by Rachel Caine: 34
The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells: 18

I just finished:
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
Animal Farm by George Orwell

But I'm not going to talk about any of those books for a while.
I've decided to start at the beginning.

So, I've been reading (and loved reading) for as long as I could remember. Unfortunately, I can only remember so much. the good thing is that, for some reason, I can remember practically everything when it comes to books. Hurray!
The book that really opened my eyes, and my memories, is Marley and Me by John Grogan. I first read this book in fourth grade. I have read it countless times since then. I don't remember many of the books I read before that, but then again, I was only nine. After that, though, books became a necessity. I've also recently discovered that if I don't read for a while, I tend to stress out. Books just relax me like that. The good thing is that I always have my iPod for a substitute. Not as effective, but pretty good (I happen to love music, too. But I won't start a blog about that. At least, not for now.).
So, let me get back on topic:
Marley and Me by John Grogan
It is my FAVORITE book of all time, and I've read hundreds of books. I love how the book is written, for one thing. I like how real it is. I love dogs and Marley really touched my heart. I loved how there seemed to be REAL emotion behind everything. You could almost feel how real it was. I personally love sad stories. Love an unfinished ending. It leaves room for thinking. For reviewing what you've read and guessing how it turned out after that. I happen not to like happy endings as much as sad or unfinished ones. Happy endings, to me, seem as if they just stop living. Like, all of a sudden, nothing bad ever happens. Something bad will always happen in life. That's just how it is. Happy endings seem to go against that. Plus, it takes away suspense, drama, action. It leaves the reader as if something good was missing. So, the ending of Marley and Me, well, it wasn't exactly sad, but it had unlimited possibilities. That's what I liked about it.
It's a great book, for those of you who haven't read it. The movie is pretty good, though, of course, not as great as the book.
I would suggest reading the adult version, not the children's version. The adult version is more real and believable to me. The children's version is insulting, but I guess it's more appropriate for a nine-year-old. Oops. I didn't know that back then. Oh well. It introduced me into the amazing world of books. The world of YA and adult books. I really don't care anymore. If it seems interesting, I WILL read it. I really just don't care.
So, that's today's book: Marley and Me by John Grogan. I hope you read it and love it. See ya peoples!


Favorite quote: "Dogs are great. Bad dogs, if you can really call them that, are perhaps the greatest of them all."


(It's not really from the book. In the copy I have, there's a letter and this is the last sentence.)

0 comments: