Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Burned

I finished Burned by Ellen Hopkins yesterday, around 9:00 PM. Not only did I finish this book, but I also finished Turnabout by Margaret Peterson Haddix and Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days by Jeff Kinney.

Review: Whoa, whoa, whoa, wow. I did not expect the last few pages. As I've said a few times, I hate happy endings. This is the one time where I wished it ended happily. But, that's what I like about sad or messed-up endings. I like wishing they were happy. Wishing a happy ending was sad makes me feel evil. Therefore, I like sad or messed-up endings. This was both. It was so heartbreaking, and so GOOD. The book was amazing. I though Impulse was good, I'm wondering if Burned was better. I don't know. They were both really good. WOW! I don't know what to say, it was that good. WOW! I think it made the top ten for my stand-alone list. I have a stand-alone and series list. So, I think this made the top ten for stand-alone. Wow. (3)
Characters: Pattyn was an amazing character. I don't really know how to describe her, though. I also don't know how to describe Ethan., other than to say that he did not deserve what happened to him. Neither of them deserved what happened. The only wrong thing they ever did was fall in love. Aunt J was a cool character too, filled with her own wisdom and knowledge. She deserved love. The character I did not like was Stephen. I hated him. He was Aunt J's brother and Pattyn's father. He had no right to do what he did to either of them. *SPOILER ALERT* He had no right to hit his daughters, his wife; no right to threaten Kevin (Aunt J's love) or kill Ethan. He may not have been the direct cause of his death, but he sure as heck had a big part in it. In Impulse, *SPOILER ALERT* I blamed Conner's death on his mother, because if she had loved him just a little bit, he probably would never have jumped of that cliff. If Pattyn's dad had cared more about his daughters than his "church", Ethan would probably not have died. (1)

Story: The story was enthralling. I could not put the book down. It had to do with love, abuse, God. Things like that. And it was absolutely WOW! I think Ellen Hopkins wrote it wonderfully perfect. It was sad and heartbreaking, but it had many good points. It made you think about your own beliefs. It made you think about love. It made you think about how luckky you are not to be in the situations Pattyn went through. But it made you wish it had a happy ending. If anything, after all the crud she's been through, Pattyn deserved everything she didn't get. She shouldn't have had to make the desicion she did.
But, it shows you
that life isn't
fair.
And to hold on to
what you have while
you have it.
Because, it's
kind of funny. How
it could take
forever to
build something, but
only an instant, a
quick second, an
undeniable moment, to
tear it all
down.
(1)

Content: kissing, sex, drinking. The books recommends 14 and up. So do I.
Stars: 5
Quotes:
Well, the book was written in verse. It makes it hard to quote, but I loved this part:

Heart breaking,
I think that if Dad, staring down the sight of a 10mm,
would only tell me he loves me,

I could easily change my mind...

... but he won't.
It was just so sad. :'(

More books by the author:
Impulse (read)
Identical
Tricks
Crank
Glass
Fallout

0 comments: