Thursday, April 8, 2010

A is for Animal Farm

So, I've entered both of my blogs in the Blogging From A to Z April Challenge. I'm a little behind, but I'll be catching up. For each entry, I'm going to review a book with the letter for the day. So, to start of, I'm going to review Animal Farm by George Orwell for A.
(The picture is the cover of the version I read.)
Review: Now, this book is more symbolic than anything else. It has a point, a reason for being written. It's literally about an animal farm. The thing is, the animals symbolize humans. In a way, the book is comparing animals to humans. The pigs would symbolize some form of government; the horses (mainly Boxer), would symbolize a sort of working class; the sheep could symbolize how naive some people are; the dogs would symbolize law enforcement, they keep the animals in check and make sure they don't question the pigs; etc. That's how this book works. You have to dig under what the story is literally saying and see what the point of it is. I, personally, thought it was pretty darn good. I loved it and the way he used this symbolism. (3)
Characters: In my review, I mentioned what some of the animals symbolized. I'd like to make a few comments on the pigs and two others, Clover (a horse) and Benjamin (a donkey). The pigs are the ones who hold all the power. After the animals chased the humans off of the farm, they assumed power. The thing I find interesting is how, after the defeat of the humans, the pigs ended up turning into humans. That reminds me of this one quote: "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." (It's Friedrich Nietzsche. I actually got this quote from a music video. It's a long story, so I'll write about it later.) Well, the pigs were like that. They "fought the monsters" and ended up becoming "monsters". The abyss part, well, I don't know how that would play in the story. But if you've read it, I'd want to know what you think. So, onto Clover and Benjamin. Clover, throughout the story, is remembering things that "didn't happen". In the beginning, there were Seven Commandments of Animalism. As the pigs slowly "become monsters", she realizes that the Commandments are changing. Of course, she has no proof and the pigs merely dismiss the idea. Benjamin is quite. He probably knew, the whole time, what was happening to the pigs. He most likely knew everything that was going on. He didn't tell anybody, though. He kept to himself. (1)
Story: Now, I've said many times before, that this story is all about symbolism. But what exactly does it symbolize? In my mind, it symbolizes the human nature. The pigs especially show this. They get the power, and special privileges. By the end of the story, the Seven Commandments are only one phrase: "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others." (1)





Content: it's an animal farm!
Stars: 5
Quotes: (The last sentence in the book)
"The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which."


Now, if you don't understand it, this sentence is saying how the pigs turned so much into humans that is was impossible to tell them apart.


More Books By This Author:
1984


I know he has more books, but I'm sorry to say I have no idea what they are. The most famous ones are 1984 and Animal Farm.

0 comments: