Monday, April 5, 2010

The Truth About Forever

So, I've been talking a lot about fantasy books. I've finished talking about vampires for now. The only other vampire series I read was Chibi Vampires (manga). I've only read the first four and I forgot everything but the very basics. It's almost as if I never read it. That's scary. I never thought I'd forget a book like that. Quick fact: I forgot most of Wake, but not as bad as Chibi Vampries. I remember every other book perfectly, but Wake (Lisa McMann) and Chibi Vampires seemed to have fled my mind.

Anyways, back to realistic fiction! Yay! Okay, I'll admit it: I like realistic fiction (especially Sarah Dessen and Nicholas Sparks), but it is NOTHING compared to my love for fantasy. Oh well. Sorry realistic fiction. Well, this happens to be one of my favorite realistic fiction books: The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen.
Review: Well, I'm pretty sure I first read this is the summer of '09. I've read it all the way through twice, but every now and then I'll flip through it, read pages here and there. There are some pages I especially like. I have many quotes. I find Sarah Dessen's books to be REAL and inspirational. She writes YA and her characters are high school or college age. They learn something in the books. She has morals. It's not cheesy or anything, though. Her books are about self-discovery, almost. She writes really well. I also like how she hints at things from some of her other books. Like, in TTAF, Macy meets a character named Stella. When Macy meets her, Stella is reading a book called The Choice by Barbara Starr. Barbara Starr is the mother of Remy in This Lullaby. I think that's kind of cool, but that's just me. (3)
Characters: Macy Queen is the protagonist of The Truth About Forever. I find her to be strong and independent, even when she really doesn't need to be. She hasn't annoyed me too much. Wes is cool. Not werewolf cool. If Sarah Dessen was fantasy.... Well, Wes is cool. You know, as cool as humans ever get. He's honest, kind, HOT! *laughter* It's no surprise Macy falls for him, even if she doesn't realize it. I really like Kristy though. She's so mature for her age, but she's also young and fun. (1)

Story: In this story, you learn to live. It sounds weird, but after thinking about it, that's kind of the lesson here. Life could end, for you, at any moment. You don't want to have regrets or wish you had done something when it's too late. Everybody has a forever and you can choose to live it like you want to. So, I loved it. It's my favorite novel by Sarah Dessen. (1)


Content: kissing, language (not much)

Stars: 5

Quotes:

"It's all in the view, Macy. That's what I mean about forever, too. For any one of us our forever could end in an hour, or a hundred years from now. You can never know for sure, so you'd better make every second count." - Kristy

"It was just one of those things. You know, that just happen. You don't think or plan. You just do it." - Macy (and later Monica)

"It's never too later." - Monica

"That was the thing. You just never knew. Forever was so many different things. It was always changing, it was what everything was really all about. It was twenty minutes, or a hundred years, or just this instant, or any instant I wished would last and last. But there was only one truth about forever that really mattered, and that was this: it was happening. Right then, as I ran with Wes into that bright sun, and every moment afterwards. Look, there. Now. Now. Now."
More by the Author:
Just Listen
Someone Like You
That Summer
Lock and Key
This Lullaby
Dreamland
Along for the Ride
Keeping the Moon


All of her books are written in first-person. YAY! (I own a copy of TTAF!)

0 comments: