Thursday, April 1, 2010

Vampire Academy

Well, I've read quite a few books, in the past two years, especially. So, I'm trying to catch my blog up. I've decided to start with one of my favs: Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead.

Review: This book caught me and was able to hold on pretty tightly. I would say that I either read this right before or right after I read Twilight. It made Twilight look so... not good. Overrated. So Twilight-lovers HAVE to read this. Just to compare the books.
Characters: Rose is a pretty strong character, and not just because she's a dhampir. Her personality is.... her. She's strong and independent. Of course, that can only go so far when she's in love with this hot Russian guy... who happens to be her instructor... Rose would do anything for her best friend, Lissa. She's sarcastic, witty, but she has a depth to her. She's not just surface. She has depth. But she's also a teenager. It is called Vampire Academy for a reason. It makes it more interesting too. She's still young, but she's growing up. You could tell that throughout the series. She hasn't annoyed me yet. Not like other protagonists have, anyway.
Story: I thought it had a pretty good story line. I don't know what I could compare it to. I could compare it to Blue Bloods, but don't take that the wrong way. They're almost nothing alike (except they're both awesome). The only reason they're similar is because of vampires feeding off of vampires. In Vampire Academy, it's the Strigoi; in Blue Bloods, it's the Silver Bloods. That's pretty much it. I liked how it was written. There's a little bit of everything: drama, suspense, action, romance, horror (if you count soul-less creatures). I would recommend it to girls, but guys could read it too. There's enough action for that, in my opinion. It's not just a love story *cough* (like Twilight).
The series definitely gets better. I CANNOT wait until May. Spirit Bound will be AMAZING! I just know it.

Stars: 5

Content: an almost-sex scene, drugs (book 1)

Quotes:
"Only a true best friend can protect you from your immortal enemies."
"A ghostly smile flickered across his face. "If you weren't so psychotic, you'd be fun to hang around.” "Funny, I feel that way about you too.” He didn't say anything else, but the smile grew, and he walked away. (Rose & Christian)"

Series:
Vampire Academy
Frost Bite
Shadow Kiss
Blood Promise
Spirit Bound 5-18-10
Last Sacrifice 6-14-10


Still taking requests. Go read VA!

0 comments: